Closing tends to be the most expected event in the sales process for management, sales, and prospects. While stressful, it needs to be done with care and professionalism.
Your responsibility is to work the earlier stages of the sales cycle so that closing becomes a natural conclusion where both parties benefit, creating a Win-Win situation – this includes, closing continually throughout the process. Closing is really the beginning of your business relationship – both parties should be excited about working together.
There are no silver bullets to closing.
Closing comfort comes from basic preparation…
The closing fundamentals
- Is there value in my product or service for my prospect?
- What is the dollar value? (return on investment, money savings, etc.)
- What other value is there? (prestige, safety, non-monetary improvements, etc.)
- Does the prospect understand and value the benefits of my product or service?
- Is a decision to buy my offering better than a decision to create something on their own?
- What risk(s) to the prospect do I need to minimize. (financial, time of implementation, opportunity cost, prestige, what their boss/peers might think, etc.)
- What urgency have I created to encourage the prospect to move forward now? (time to market, discounts, delivery incentives, guarantees, etc.)
- Why is buying my product or service a better decision than moving forward with my competitor (or taking no action at all)?
(Closing statement should be delivered with confidence and a positive, assertive attitude.)
- Would you like to move forward?
- Are you ready to get started?
- Can we go ahead?
- We can start the process today with a credit card if you’d like.
- We can deliver it to you by the close of business tomorrow if you’d like.
- We can have it delivered by the end of the month if we can get a signed contract into the implementation department by Thursday.
- Should I forward a contract so you can get started?
- Would you like to try it for a quarter?
- It’ll take a few weeks to process and ship the order so if you’re interested in moving forward, we should start the paperwork now.
- Let’s get this off your plate and start the paperwork. What do you think?
- Let’s start the process so you can get onto your other priorities. Sound good?